Simplify your UK scholarship process
Learn everything you need to know about Scholarships in the UK
and get end to end expert guidance from us.
Scholarships in the UK for Indian Students
According to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA), the UK witnessed a 50% year-over-year increase in the number of Indian students studying in the country in 2021-22. The count has always been on the rise for the past few years and is expected to grow in the coming years as well.
Though the UK is considered a bit expensive for international students, what makes it an affordable study destination for many? The reason is scholarships and other financial aid. There are innumerable scholarships for Indian students to study in the UK, and you can find more details about them as you read further.There will be scholarships funded by the UK government, universities and other private institutions. They will have varying scholarship values and eligibility criteria based on the host institution. We have provided an extensive read on the scholarships in the UK for Indian students from which you can gather all the information.
Types of Scholarships in the UK for Indian Students
Scholarships in the UK can be categorised into three. They are
- Scholarships funded by the UK government
- Scholarships funded by universities
- Scholarships funded by other private institutions
These scholarships are supposed to have varying eligibility criteria and award values. They can fall into the following types.
- Need-based scholarships
- Merit-based scholarships
- Talent-based scholarships
Which Are the Popular Scholarships to Study in the UK for Indian Students?
If you have planned to study in the UK, one of the primary things you need to learn about is scholarships. They can highly benefit you financially. There are a few scholarships that even cover your tuition and living expenses wholly or partially. A few popular ones include
- Chevening Scholarship
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship
- GREAT Scholarship
- Charles Wallace India Trust (CWIT) Scholarships
- Scotland Saltire Scholarships
UK University Scholarships for Indian Students
Name of University
Name of Scholarship
Amount (in GBP)
University of Cambridge
Gates Cambridge Scholarship
This is available for Master’s & PhD students
All students of particular courses are eligible
GBP 17,500 stipend + health insurance + GBP 2000 academic development funding + GBP 10,120 family allowance
University of West London
International Ambassador Scholarship
It is offered only in the first year
All UG & PG students of the university are eligible
GBP 5000 off on tuition fees
Imperial College London PhD Scholarships
It offers 10 fully-funded scholarships
This is a merit-based scholarship
100% off on tuition fees + GBP 16,553
This is offered to Undergraduate students
Students with a GPA of at least 3.3 are eligible
100% off on tuition fees + room & board fees
University of Bristol
Think Big Scholarship
All UG & PG students can apply for it
Students receiving no other scholarship with a 100% tuition waiver can apply
University of Stirling
GEMS International Undergraduate Scholarship
All overseas students in the university can apply
All full-time UG students are eligible for it
GBP 2000 off on tuition fees
University of East Anglia
University of East Anglia Scholarship
This is open to all Master’s students
This is given based on academic excellence
University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh Global Research Scholarship
This is offered to all Doctoral students of the university
You should possess outstanding academic merit to be eligible
University of West England
UWE Chancellor’s Scholarship
All Master’s students in the university can apply
You should be admitted only based on your IELTS score
50% off on tuition fees
University of Nottingham
Developing Solutions Scholarship
This scholarship is provided to 105 Master’s students
All students from any of the Commonwealth countries are eligible
50% – 100% off on tuition fees
Undergraduate Scholarships to Study in the UK for Indian Students
If you are planning to pursue an Undergraduate program in the UK, you can apply for scholarships that your university or any other organisation funds. A few such scholarships are listed below. It is to be noted that there are other scholarships as well. You can contact our counsellors to get an updated list.
- Mary Trevalyan Hardship Fund
- ARU Sports Scholarships
- Academic Excellence Scholarships
- International Ambassador Scholarship
- Leeds International Foundation Year Scholarships
- Bradford Undergraduate Bursary Scheme
- Transform Together Scholarships
- Rapid Formations Entrepreneur Scholarship Program
Master’s Scholarships to Study in the UK for Indian Students
There are several scholarships you can apply for as a Master’s student when you study in the UK. A few scholarships for Master’s in the UK for Indian students are listed below. You can check their criteria and apply if you fall under the criteria.
- British Chevening Scholarships for International Scholarships
- A.S Hornby Educational Trust Scholarship
- Sports Scholarships
- Family Scholarship
- Birkbeck International Excellence Scholarships
- Society for Underwater Technology Educational Support Fund
- Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation Grant
- Rhodes Scholarship
MBA Scholarships to Study in the UK
MBA is one of the most popular courses chosen by international students studying in the UK. Though it is considered to be one of the most expensive courses to pursue, there are several scholarships for MBA in the UK for Indian students that you can apply for. A few such scholarships are listed below for your easy reference.
- Chevening Scholarships
- Commonwealth Masters Scholarships
- Commonwealth Fellowship Plan
- GREAT scholarships
- The Global Study Awards
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships
- Inlaks Scholarship
- Felix Scholarship
- Goa Education Trust Scholarship
PhD Scholarships to Study in the UK for Indian Students
A PhD is one of the highest degrees you can take in any subject. If you plan to pursue the course in the country, there are several PhD scholarships for Indian students in the UK. A few of them are given below.
- Clarendon Scholarship
- University of Exeter – PhD Scholarship
- Chemical Engineering PhD Scholarship
- Graduate Teaching Fellowship
- Doctoral Scholarship in Biology & Statistics
- Harding Distinguished Postgraduate Scholars Program
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships
- International Business Department Scholarship
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship
- Carnegie PhD Scholarships
How to Apply for Scholarships to Study in the UK?
You have to gather complete information on the types of scholarships you can apply for as an international student studying in the UK. Almost all scholarships need to be applied directly from the official website. You may also need to get admission to a recognised UK university to apply for scholarships. It is always necessary to know the application deadline for scholarships so that you can apply early.
Tips to Increase Your Chances of Getting Shortlisted for UK Scholarships
The UK provides scholarships of several kinds to international students, and you can choose which suits you best. Scholarships are classified on the basis of course, university, program etc. It is assured that you will find at least a couple of scholarships that you will be eligible for. You can contact THINK BIG GLOBAL for more information on scholarships and other related things. A few tips that will help you get scholarships are
- Fill up the maximum number of applications: The UK provides several scholarships to students, and it is a good thing that you list out whichever you are eligible to get. We have included information on several scholarships, and you can apply to all those for which you qualify. In this way, you will be selected for at least one.
- Read the guidelines carefully: The procedures and requirements of each scholarship are provided in detail, and you should read them carefully. Keep note of the eligibility criteria, deadline etc.
- Ask for assistance: If you are stuck up anywhere during your application process and are confused about what to do, do not hesitate to contact THINK BIG GLOBAL. We will provide you with the right help. Remember, if you submit a faulty application, you will lose the chance to get a good scholarship.
The UK provides a list of scholarships for international students. You just have to fill out the application form within the deadline. THINK BIG GLOBAL provides a detailed description of them.
There are several fully-funded scholarships in the UK provided by the government, universities, and other private institutions. You can find an in-depth list of scholarships and their eligibility with THINK BIG GLOBAL.
You will require at least 60% to get a scholarship in the UK.
A remarkable academic score is the most significant condition for most scholarships, but the selection also depends on aspects such as your selected university, subject, and level. Extracurricular activities and volunteering can also be utilised to your advantage for some scholarships.
It can be a bit challenging to get a scholarship in the UK. Therefore, it is critical to thoroughly understand the selection criteria before applying for scholarships at UK institutions.
Fully-funded UK scholarships cover not just tuition but also living expenses. They are a bit tough to obtain since you must be one of the top-performing students in the country to be eligible for a full scholarship.
Here are the best scholarships to study in the UK.
- A.S. Hornby Trust Scholarship
- Scotland’s Saltire Scholarships
- Chevening Fellowships
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- GREAT Scholarships
- British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM
- Global Wales Scholarships for International Students
- Young Cell Scheme