Make your UK visa process effortless
Learn everything you need to know about UK
Student Visa and get end to end expert guidance from us.
UK Student Visa from India
Do you desire to study in any of the world’s prestigious universities with top-class facilities, well-equipped libraries and campus infrastructure? Then undoubtedly, UK universities are a great fit.
Famous for its iconic landmarks such as the Big Ben, Tower of London and Buckingham Palace and majorly for hosting some of the world’s most prestigious universities, including the University of Oxford, the University of Cambridge, Imperial College London, UCL (University College London), University of Edinburgh and much more, UK stands tall as one of all time desired destinations by international students.
These universities are often hubs of innovation and entrepreneurship. International students have access to the universities’ entrepreneurship programs and funding opportunities to turn their creative ideas into reality. Graduating from such prestigious UK universities adds a significant weightage to a student’s resume and opens doors to various opportunities in the international job market. The most beneficial factor about studying in UK universities is their campuses. The campuses offer a vibrant and dynamic atmosphere, with a wide range of extracurricular activities, clubs and societies. Indian students can explore their interests outside of academics and make the most of their university years.
To study in the UK, all international students must possess a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa. The UK’s Tier 4 (General) Student Visa is a type of UK visa that allows international students to study full-time in the United Kingdom.To be eligible for the visa, students must obtain a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from their chosen educational institution. The CAS is a unique reference number that confirms the student’s eligibility for the course and is required for the visa application. By receiving the UK Student Visa, Indian students can legally pursue their education in the UK and gain rewarding international exposure.
Latest Updates on the UK Student Visa for Indian Students
Here are the latest updates on the UK Student Visa for Indian Students:
- On 1st January 2022, the UK government ended the free movement (meaning, international students can’t apply for the UK Student Visa if they don’t meet the requirements) and replaced it with the new points-based immigration system.
- On 5 October 2020, the ‘new points-based system’ Student route came into force.
- The new student route demands that international students must have 40 points to be eligible to apply for the UK Student Visa. (30 points for the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) received from the university, 10 points for Financial capability to meet the cost of living, maintenance and fees for the course).
- Under this Student route, there is no limit on the number of international students who can come to the UK.
- The new Student route/points-based immigration system allows only eligible students and restricts students from bringing their family members. More importantly, the new route strictly bans students from taking up jobs in the UK using the Student Visa.
- Through this route, the UK plans to welcome eligible students who can contribute and strengthen the country’s economy.
- All these new reforms will come into effect for international students starting on January 2024.
- Simultaneously. the UK government is exploring alternative options to ensure the brightest and best students can continue to bring dependents when they study at the UK’s world-leading universities.
- Effective January 2024, international students will be stopped from switching from the student visa route to work routes until their studies are completed.
- Last but not least, the government will also review the funds to ensure that students can look after themselves and their dependents in the UK and majorly shut down international student agents who may be supporting inappropriate applications.
Students have to note that the latest update only applies to candidates who plan to start their study in the UK in 2024 and these UK Study Visa requirements must be strictly met to embark on the education journey in the UK.
Types of UK Student Visas for Indian Students
Types of UK Student Visas
Short-term study visas
These visas are available to students who want to join courses that are up to six months long or English language courses up to 11 months long.
Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa
This visa is for students aged 4 to 17 who have been offered a place at an independent school in the UK.
Tier 4 (General) Student Visas
If you are 16 or over and want to study at a higher education level, you must apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa. You need to wait until you have an offer from a university or college before applying for your Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.
Standard Visitor Visa
This visa is for students who want to take a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course.
How much does a UK Student Visa cost from India?
The cost of applying for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa is £363, which is approximately ₹38,629.06. Another thing to note is that the UK Student Visa fee is £490 to extend the duration of the student visa from inside the UK.
Some general information: The UK Visa fees for Indian students vary depending on the type of visa being applied for. For instance, the visa fee for a UK tourist visa is INR 10,388, while the fees for a student visa and spouse visa are INR 38,629 and INR 1,59,761, respectively.
The cost of other UK Student Visas is given below:
Short-term Study Visa: The cost of applying for a short-term study visa is £186, which is approximately ₹19,794.12.
Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa: The cost of applying for a Tier 4 (Child) student visa is £363, which is approximately ₹38,629.06.
Standard Visitor Visa: The cost of applying for a Standard Visitor Visa varies depending on the length of stay. For a short-term stay (up to 6 months), the cost is £95, which is approximately ₹10,109.90. For a longer-term stay (valid for up to 2, 5 or 10 years), the costs are £361, £655, and £822, respectively, which are approximately ₹38,418.02, ₹69,705.10 and ₹87,481.64.
Find the UK Student Visas cost information in the Tabulated Format:
Type of UK Student Visa
Cost in GBP
Cost in INR
Short-term study visa
Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa
Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
Standard Visitor Visa (up to 6 months)
Standard Visitor Visa (2 years)
Standard Visitor Visa (5 years)
Standard Visitor Visa (10 years)
UK Student Visa Requirements for Indian Students
The UK offers the perfect blend of academic excellence and exposure to diverse perspectives that international students desire. However, to embark on this life-changing journey, students must tackle the challenge of obtaining a UK Student Visa and understand the requirements and paperwork beforehand.
For students’ reference, we are listing the essential UK Student Visa requirements for Indian students.
- Age Requirement: Students must be at least 16 years old. If students are 16 or 17 years old, they must provide evidence of consent from their parents.
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS): They must have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed sponsor and have a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number and documents used to obtain CAS.
- Financial Requirements: They must have enough money to support themselves and pay for their course. The amount will vary depending on their circumstances.
- English Language Proficiency: They must be able to speak, read, write, and understand English. To prove their English proficiency, they must provide valid English-language proficiency test scores such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE or others.
- Tuberculosis (TB) Test: To study in the UK for more than six months, they need to get tested for tuberculosis (TB) at a government-approved clinic in India.
- Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS): The Health Insurance requirements for international students studying in the UK depend on the type of student visa they have. Here are the requirements for different types of student visas:
- Tier 4 General Student Visa (more than 6 months): Students with this type of visa can access the National Health Service (NHS).
- Tier 4 General Student Visa (under 6 months): Students with this type of visa will need private medical insurance.
- Student Visitor: Students with this type of visa need to take out private health insurance.
- Academic Qualifications: Students need to submit their academic transcripts and other relevant documents as part of the application process.
What are the English Proficiency Tests to receive the UK Student Visa for India Students?
Level of Study
English Skill Level (CEFR)
Degree level or above
Equivalent to CEFR level B2
Below degree level
CEFR level B1
What are the Documents Required for a UK student visa from India?
- Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from a UK institution.
- Valid Passport.
- Passport-sized Photographs.
- Financial Documents (bank statements or sponsorship letters) to demonstrate sufficient funds.
- Proof of English language proficiency (usually through a Secure English Language Test).
- Academic transcripts and certificates.
- Tuberculosis (TB) test results.
- Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) payment confirmation.
- Statement of Purpose (SOP) explaining the reasons for studying in the UK.
- Academic references or Letters of Recommendation.
- Previous visa refusal letters (If any).
How to Apply for the UK Student Visa Online from India?
- Check that you meet all eligibility requirements for the visa and gather your supporting documents.
- Go to the UK Government website to create an account to start the visa application process. You’ll need to provide an email address and create a password.
- Complete the online application form and upload supporting documents where required.
- Pay your visa application fee online.
- Submit your application and wait for a decision.
- After your application, you’ll need to schedule a biometrics appointment at a Visa Application Center (VAC) in your country.
- On the scheduled date and time, visit the VAC to provide your biometrics data, where your fingerprints and photograph will be taken.
- Once a decision is made on your application, you will be notified. If your visa is approved, you will be asked to collect your passport with the visa stamp from the VAC or receive it through courier delivery.
What is the Processing time for the UK Student Visa from India?
The standard processing time for a UK Student Visa is 3 weeks after the completed application is submitted Online. However, it is currently taking up to 4 weeks to process for travelling and short-term study purposes in the UK.
How to write an SOP for UK Student Visa for India students?
A Statement of Purpose (SOP) is a document that outlines your goals, experience, skills and motivation for seeking admission to a university. An effective SOP can help you obtain a student visa for the UK.
Here are some tips on how to write an SOP for a UK Student Visa:
- Be Specific and Focused
- Show Your Passion
- Highlight Academic Achievements
- Align with Career Goals
- Research the Institution
- Be Honest and Authentic
- Convey Your Return Intent
- Keep It Concise
- Proofread Carefully and Avoid Plagiarism
What is the UK Point-based Visa System?
The UK point-based visa or immigration system is the main UK immigration route for migrants from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) to come to the United Kingdom, to work, study, invest or train. This system separates applicants into five ‘tiers’ and to be eligible for a visa in any of the five tiers, you must pass a points-based assessment. The UK implemented this points-based immigration system on 1 January 2021, prioritising skills and talent over where a person comes from. If you were not a resident in the UK till 31 December 2020 and did not have rights under the withdrawal agreement, you need to meet specific requirements to work or study in the UK from 1 January 2021. You also need to pass relevant checks, including UK criminality checks.
Here is the breakdown for international students who want to receive their Tier 4 (General) UK Student Visa:
Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
Financial capability to meet the cost of living, maintenance and fees for the course
UK Student Visa Rejection
Renewal of UK Student/Study Visa for India Students
You can extend your UK Student Visa to stay longer and continue your course or study a new course. This includes if you currently hold a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa. To extend your visa, you must be in the UK on a Student visa or a Tier 4 (General) student visa, have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed student sponsor and show that your studies are at a higher academic level than your current course.
The earliest you can apply to extend your visa is 3 months before your course starts. You must apply before your current visa expires and your new course must begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring. You can apply for an extension online through the UK Government website.
How can THINKBIG help in your Visa Application?
THINKBIG provides students with free visa assistance for studying abroad. Our experienced counsellors have helped many students achieve their dream of studying abroad through our free visa consultation services. We offer support throughout the entire visa process, including application completion, submission and mock interview training. Our team of professionals ensures that you are up-to-date with the latest criteria and conditions for successfully obtaining your student visa. We also guide you to official websites and authorised immigration officials to ensure you have access to the most recent application formats and guidelines.
Yes, IELTS is generally required for a UK Student Visa to demonstrate English language proficiency.
To satisfy the financial requirements for a UK Student Visa, a student’s required bank balance is £17,0062.
You must obtain a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) from your home country.
Yes, you may get a UK Study Visa without IELTS.
To get PR (Permanent Residency) in the UK from a Student Visa, you must follow certain steps, such as getting employed after your studies and applying for a work or a skilled worker visa.
If you’re 18 or over and your course is at degree level, you can usually stay in the UK for up to 5 years. If it’s below degree level, you can usually stay in the UK for up to 2 years.
A Tier 4 Student Visa is a student visa for students from outside the UK or EEA, who are looking to study a full-time degree-level course at a UK University, College or other eligible educational institutions.
For Indian students, the UK Student Visa fee is 38,629.06 INR.
Yes, you can get married while studying on a UK Student Visa. Being on a Student Visa does not prohibit you from getting married.
Candidates looking to study in the UK would require an overall 59 PTE score for UK Student Visa.
Turn your Study Abroad Dream to Degrees Abroad in UK
Embark on your study abroad journey in the UK with THINK BIG GLOBAL as your trusted partner. Contact us today to take the first step toward realising your educational aspirations.